Top 5 Kitchen Remodeling Questions
By now we are all well aware that a kitchen remodel is not only one…
By now we are all well aware that a kitchen remodel is not only one of the most popular home improvement projects – it’s also a great way to invest in your home. To give you an idea of how important kitchens are to the value of a home – here in the US, the kitchen remodeling industry is a $15 billion dollar/year business. And even in today’s market you could expect to yield a return on investment of 75-100%.
So weather I’m designing a major kitchen renovation or a moderate upgrade for my clients our initial conversation and the questions that follow are often the same.
1. Q: Where do we start? – What comes first? A: Educate yourself and focus on the styles of kitchens and interiors that speak to you. Grab some kitchen design magazines and tear out the pages that inspire you in some way. Start an inspiration file and share it with your designer during your initial meetings. It’s also a great idea to begin researching appliances at the same time. The options available are endless and you definitely need time to do some research in that arena.
2. Q: How much should I expect to spend on my kitchen? A: Obviously the cost of a new kitchen is dependent on many factors. The scope, size and complexity of each project varies – but typically you should expect to spend anywhere from 10 – 25% of your home’s current value. For example: If your home is valued at $500,000 (and you plan on living there for another 5+ years) then budgeting 75-100K would be considered a reasonable investment.
3. Q: What makes a kitchen more or less costly? A: Your selection of cabinetry, appliances, counter tops, flooring, as well as the electrical and plumbing will determine the cost of your kitchen remodel. Cabinetry alone accounts for close to 50% of the total cost of the project – eating up half of your budget before you even blink. Stock, Semi-custom and custom cabinetry each have different price points, so making that selection will be based on your home’s value and your budget.
4. Q: How do I ensure my kitchen won’t become dated? A: Investing in the services of a professional designer will definitely help guide you – by planning the space, designing the details and selecting materials and finishes that best suit the architecture of your home and your family’s personality. Selecting timeless door styles and specifying quality products will extend the life of your dream kitchen. Just realize however, that all high traffic and well-used kitchens will eventually wear 10-15 years down the road.
5. Q: How long does a kitchen remodel typically take? A: Depending on the overall scope of the kitchen remodel the time commitment will vary. It could take anywhere from 4-6 weeks for a light and simple face lift or upgrade – or 4-6+ months for a major kitchen renovation where major construction is involved. With large kitchen remodeling projects, there are a series of stages to progress through. From the planning and development phase, through the bidding process – it could take weeks or months before your contractor even picks up a hammer.
Just remember that a quality kitchen remodel will give you and your family years of enjoyment and increase the overall value of your home.